Sunday, September 30, 2007

85 cents does not a "sweet deal" make

If this is all there is to being a monk, count me in:



Kitties! Hoops! More can be found here.

In other news, fall has officially hit Portland. It's been getting progressively chillier, until today when it rained sideways all day and only hit 50. Hooray, we won't see the sun for months! I hear that Portland winters are "unpleasant," but whether they're worse than Urbana's (in an entirely different way) remains to be seen. Meanwhile, Ben's in L.A. interviewing for some hotshot job, and called to tell me that he was sitting by the ocean in the sunshine.

Apparently, this movie was filmed in Portland, in one of my favorite cafes (Fresh Pot, only a few blocks from where I live). Here is a still:


Unfortunately, Greg Kinnear does not work here in real life. I actually have no idea what this movie is about, though it looks like Morgan Freeman is, as usual, dispensing wise advice.

I guess the biggest news I have is that Ben bought a mustache trimmer yesterday! Ben does not have a mustache. Unfortunately, he bought it from a one-legged woman in a wheelchair on the street for 85 cents, so it doesn't exactly... work. At all. The charming part, though, was that the woman put it in a plastic bag for him so that he could easily carry his new purchase with him. A real professional! I told him that he should have asked her to write out a receipt for tax purposes, so maybe he'll remember to do that they next time he buys personal hygiene items on a street corner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cats and hoops! Wow! looks cool! kinda weird tho, I wouldnt expect Monks to be playing with cats...anyhoo...strange coincidence some of those Monks came to Hampton to do a sand painting of peace one week and put it in the ocean to float and spread around the world...sounded interesting and am kind of mad at myself for missing it...but the night before they had a spokesperson talking for them about the painting...and then at the end they did a song thing like in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective 2 (sorry for the reference) where he goes to visit monks in the mountains...but i digress...and hope you havent stopped reading my comment yet...
I did notice that you took your other entry down about your interview. I'm sorry that your interviewer wasn't very helpful and unable to see how well you qualify for that job. It also sucks that you have to wait so long to find out anything....maybe they will call you in again and have a different person interview you. I felt exactly the same as you when I applied for my job...and then I lucked out and the rest is history. And who knows...maybe something even better will pop up....everything happens for a reason.....I hope everything else is going ok and you don't get too cold over there....I miss you and think about you everyday

kakaaw said...

Thanks! I took it down because it was too whiny... I just need to suck it up. I guess we can always just move to Burma and train cats to jump through hoops?

Oh, and I accidentally threw your first letter away, because I'm really dumb. That's what I get for trying to tidy my room! So I'm writing you a new one, and I'll probably send it tomorrow or Wednesday!