Friday, October 12, 2007

Finally!

Hey, I'm employed!

I got the call today that I'm hired! Starting October 29th, I will be an editor. Hooray, money! Hooray, benefits! Hooray, discounts on books! I'm happy :) I don't start until the day Anna leaves, so I'll get to spend a bunch of time with her while she's visiting -- perfect! Ben also got a call today that Northrup Grumman is putting together an offer for him, so it looks like he's soon to be employed as well. Today is a good day!

Yesterday I went for a long walk in search of neighborhood cats to play with, since I was still in a foul mood from the whole phone bill debacle. Luckily, life was good again after about 2 minutes of walking, since I saw a crow dropping walnuts onto the street from a phone wire to crack them open, then going down to the street to retrieve the delicious interior. I walked up to Alberta, did some people watching, then came down to Irving Park to relax under a tree and listen to the new Radiohead album. NE Portland is so idyllic right now; the trees are changing, it's in the 50's all the time (and it hasn't rained for a few days!) and everyone seems to be having a lot of fun. Heaven! When Anna gets here, I'll probably just die of happiness.

As for the new Radiohead? I deem it to be "good." I'm not really interested in writing a lengthy review or reading long missives about blah blah blah chord progressions blah blah conventional unchallenging blah blah earlier works, etc. For me, it lived up to the hype, and I've been enjoying it. The end!

Here is an article about Portland being an indie mecca. My city is nice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!! I am soooo excited for you that you got that job! I knew you would! awesome! Well at least you have a couple more weeks to do whatever you want...how about Ben, will he be working in Portland too? I thought my mom mentioned he was looking for a job in LA...not sure...and I've never heard of that Grumman company...but anyways, congrats!!! I'm really happy for you Amanda :) Looking forward to your letter...I wonder how long it takes mail to reach the opposite side of the country...hmmmm

oh and about the cats...do they worry about rabies stuff in Portland?? I've been so paranoid about it since I monitor it for my job that I'm hesitant around stray cats now....paranoid that I will get bitten and then they make you get the post-exposure rabies shots...ouch

Piglet said...

omg! you are amazing! that has really actually just made my day, as i sit here in my cold kitchen, sick, and shuddering under the weight of the pile of reading that i have to complete. congratulations! i wish i were there to hang out in your indie mecca and people-watch over lattes under the yellowing leaves with you. and congrats to ben!

remember the zach morris phone? i had a really similar debacle with them, i already paid for a really expensive plan, then they claimed that i terminated the plan early, or made some other nefarious and patently false assertion. i don't really remember. but it ended up costing hundreds of dollars, and got my brother sent to collections. we prefer to call that company nextard, as opposed to nextel, these days. i'm down with t-mobil now though, so far there's been no drama.

keep relaying the observations you make while crow-watching, that also has elevated my dispostion by like 3 points on the moodometer.