Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Couture, big skulls, ribs.

Ben and I were talking about his accidental modeling career the other day, so I dug this out -- I don't think many people have seen it:


(Louis Vuitton runway show, Paris, France, 2006) (Hahahahaha) (Hahahahahaha)

Over a year later, I am still unable to get over the hilarity of this situation, because:

a) Have you ever met Ben?
and
b) Have you ever met me?

For example, today Ben was wearing jeans with a giant hole in the crotch, paired with a shirt that Fred found in a dumpster. I was wearing the same hoodie that I've been wearing and sleeping in for the past four days. Yesterday we had an extended argument about the physics of a bicycle wheel, and today we debated over whether Star Trek:Voyager or the first part of a 20-hour WWII documentary should go first in the Netflix queue. The fact that we are also "couture model" and "couture model's girlfriend" once again proves that truth is stranger than fiction.

Forgetting for a moment the constant sound of money withdrawing itself from my account, I'm having a pretty good week. On Saturday I went to a BBQ at the house where Paul was staying before we got our place. Oh my god, it was fantastic! At one point, I was so happy that I thought I was going to start crying. Having a good time and meeting new people took a giant load off my back. Not only was I greeted at the door with a hug, they also had a badminton net set up! I also met some guy that turned out to be someone I vaguely knew from college. Obviously, it was an awesome party. Or, to put it even more profoundly: nice people are nice!

I was also finally able to see "Paris, Je t'aime," after, oh, almost 2 years of waiting. Even better, it was playing at the Laurelhurst, which serves beer and only charges $3 for a movie. The setup is sort of less than ideal in there, but I chose the seat that seemed least likely to have an obstructed view; the seat in front of me was empty and in the middle of an otherwise-filled row... who would sit there? ANSWER: a man with a head so large that it changed the gravitational force in the theater. He came in about 20 seconds after the lights went down, bringing with him the entire solar system that was orbiting around his skull. Unfortunately, Super Dome blocked out about 60% of the bottom of the screen, which meant that over half of the subtitles were obscured. Did I mention that I'd been waiting to see this movie for about 2 years? Needless to say, I spent most of the movie playing bob-and-weave, trying to get some semblance of what the hell was being said; this, no doubt, made the person behind me do the same (and so on and so on), making the entire length of the theater wish death upon the person in front of them. The movie was excellent, though! I really forgot my fury after only a few minutes because I was enjoying the movie so much... all-in-all, a great time.

Urbana was 30 degrees warmer than Portland today. Also, I ate at a new restaurant today: Da Rib Shack. It is, in fact, located in an actual shack. I would rate the food a solid B-, though it gets an A for ambiance: a tin shack, 3 crock pots, and 6 booths (located on the lawn). And it's only a block from my house!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time out and meeting new people. You're right, I had not seen this of Ben...it is kind of funny and he just seems SO excited to be photographed, lol. The rib shack sounds interesting...given the rib places I've been inspecting, I'm not sure I would try it...but I'm glad you thought it was good..maybe we can go when I come out to visit...Miss you!

Piglet said...

oh crikey, i'm still creased from reading about the bob-and-weave chain reaction! a theater full of people shuttlecocking their heads back and forth like a bunch of turkeys. bwahahah!