Monday, September 03, 2007

live your way into the answer

It turns out that moving is humbling. People ask me what I do all day, and the real answer is this: I get rejected, from everything, over and over and over again. The job situation can basically be summed up by the fact that I heard a worker at Ikea talking about how he has a Master's degree. He was helping people choose mattresses.

Hey, remember how I used to work in a video store for six years? One funny thing (minus the funny part) is that I even got rejected for part-time work at a video store! I took my resume there because they had a "Help Wanted" sign, and I thought it would be sort of a fun back-up job. I didn't even get an interview! I guess I better start working on my Doctorate so I can maybe get a few hours at a gas station.

Luckily, there is Rilke for such times:
"Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer."

Luckily, there is also this video for such times:

1 comment:

balloony said...

and I will be watching that at least once a day for a very long time.