Sunday, August 26, 2007

Apocalypse Now

THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!

I have joined Netflix. Moreover, I think I might ask it to be my boyfriend. For a mere $17 per month, I can have as many movies as I want, with up to 3 out at once. As soon as I send one back, they automatically send me the next one on my list. Is this the greatest thing ever, or have I been brainwashed by an evil corporation? But guys, they have everything. I'm even able to save movies that aren't out on dvd yet, and they'll send them to me as soon as they are. And the movie recommendation engine is so accurate that it's creeping me out. I feel really guilty, but I think I might be in love.

Okay, but before you drag me to the lynching tree, I also want to let everyone know that I've already bought a block of movies at my local video store (Video Verite, which is wonderful), and I plan to rent there often. They've got a great selection and very fair prices, though it's weird to be on the other side of the counter. I also have a hard time finding movies, because I'm so used to the classification system at Rentertainment, and, of course, none of their movies are only $1... no 3 for $6, no daily specials, and no 100 for $100 (which, unfortunately, makes renting a tv show disc-by-disc prohibitively expensive). They also don't have everything I want, though it's probably unfair to expect that. So, I'm sort of supplementing the movies I get from Video Verite with my Netflix queue; hopefully it'll keep me happy and buried in movies. I guess I've been spoiled by Rentertainment! I miss Kells, the Uribes, and that guy who used to talk about Michael Haneke with me.

I'm having a good time, but I'm also pretty lonely and homesick. I miss my boring life in my old one-horse town! The coffee here sure is good, though.

2 comments:

Piglet said...

what? you don't miss "claudio!" and the sunscreen creep?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda...just seeing if you were doing ok...I know about the homesick thing...I've been in VA for 6 months now and I still get it sometimes...not as much but there are times I think about Bloomington...ah well. Glad you have an apt now...happy movie watching!