Monday, August 06, 2007

What's (been) Happening

I'm having such a nice day.

This morning I set off from Seattle at about 5:30 in order to take my bus down to the Amtrak station, then caught the train at 7:30. The trains had been out of service all weekend because of some hairline fractures in the cars, but apparently they salvaged some old cars from the Amtrak junkyard (note: this is not a joke) and put them back on the line for Monday's route. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, though the bathrooms were all mostly out of service and there was a slight air conditioning problem. All in all, though... nice; the train wasn't sold out, so I was able to sit by myself, I had a lovely view of Puget Sound, and I finished "A Handmaid's Tale."

I got in at about 12:00, walked a grueling mile back to the hostel (I NEED TO PACK LESS), then poked around until 2:00 while my room was being prepared. I walked down to Powell's and bought a few more books, since I am always unsatisfied with the 5 or 6 that I'm already carrying around. Bought a new hoodie at American Apparel because I was chilly. While I was walking around, Paul (new roommate) called, and we ended up meeting for dinner. He is fantastic! We got along fabulously and had such a fun time together; I'm so excited to be living with him, because he seems like he'll turn into a good friend. I made a friend! Hey Portland, I have a friend! On the way back, I talked to Anna on the phone... only a month until she gets here! Then I'll have TWO friends!

After Paul left, I walked around downtown for awhile, then headed back to my hostel. On the walk home, I passed by a theater called "Mission Theater" that was getting ready to show "Waitress," so I went inside because I didn't really have anything else to do. This turned out to be a fine choice, because it was also a bar. I have long heard the legends of these mythical theaters that also serve beer, but I've never had the good fortune to patronize one until tonight... could this be my new passion? Anyway, "Waitress" was cute (though I felt so sad at times because of Adrienne Shelley's terrible death) and I felt very contented sitting there by myself, enjoying a fine amber ale. After it ended, I strolled aimlessly about the neighborhood, feeing very happy in my new city. I think my life will be nice here. This is the first time I've ever been alone in a city (or really anywhere, except Urbana) but I'm feeling at home.

I'm sitting in the hostel now. I ended up having to stay in the co-ed dorm, and when I returned from my evening jaunt (~9:30) I found a 40-ish man already in bed, snoring. Geoff, was that you? Are you playing a trick on me? Want to go to Murphy's tomorrow?

It occurs to me that I never updated about Seattle! I don't want to be unkind, but Portland kicks Seattle's ass! The entire time I was there, I was filled with the beginnings of civic pride. I really have no business making sweeping generalizations about either city, but I just felt like Portland's character far outweighed Seattle's, which was a bit yuppie for my taste. That said, I had a hilarious time there. In case you were thinking about visiting Kenzie sometime: DO IT. World's best hostess!!!!!! 4 Day Trip summary:

Small mishap with bus system. Science-Fiction Museum, Pacific Science Center (highlight: watching two IMAX movies in a row), monorail, Skee-Ball at a small city fair, Washington's version of Murphy's. Ate at Red Hook Brewery and took tour where we were given unbelievable amounts of free beer. The tour guide tried to become Kenzie's boyfriend. Went to wine tasting at winery across the street. Went to see "Sunshine," which was disappointing. Saw "The Number 23," which was terrible. Went to the farmer's market, bought giant bags of fresh seafood and vegetables. Cooked feast. Ate best cake of all time, made with Bailey's. Copious amounts of gossiping, probably about you.

Photos!

I've chosen to post the best photo first. Yes, this is a self portrait of me at the Science Fiction Museum, in front of the model used in Deep Space Nine. Keep in mind that I'd been standing in the rain for roughly 2 hours prior to this, though that probably still doesn't account for the expression on my face. Seconds later, I was chided by a security guard for taking photos inside the museum. What the hell is the purpose of a place like this if you can't take pictures? As a result, there's no photos of me in front of an authentic Borg costume, which I'm angry about.
Fortunately, I was also able to take a photo of this: the Holy Grail from Indiana Jones! Wait, this is what all that drama was for? It sort of looks like the gold is sponge painted on. Oh my god, it is!

This is my spycam photo of the Blue Angels, who were doing a show in town that weekend. Obviously, I should be a photographer.


What's going on here? This photo isn't even that bad. This is us at the Columbia winery.

I told you Kenzie was a good host. What are you still doing in Illinois? Get out here, come on!

No comments: