Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Old Growth


It's my birthday! Ahhhhhh! (26!)


Here's where I am right now:



I'm in Redwood National Park, right at the top of northern California. You may also know it as the Ewok Village from "Return of the Jedi" (really!) I also can't stop humming the theme from "Jurassic Park."


These trees are 1500 years old. That blue in the distance? The freakin' Pacific.


We're 300 feet tall! Yaaaay!



For scale: that stump is 10 feet tall. My head hits at the very bottom of the ferns.





Ben inside a giant burned-out redwood






I wish I had a better picture of this... these are giant, cloud-covered bluffs. Those tiny things at the bottom are fairly large tents. This is where we cooked and ate dinner a few night ago... it's spectacular.

Oh yeah, and...


... this is where I was a few days ago: the Sonoma Valley. Wine country! We spent a day going from winery to winery, doing tastings and nibbling on cheese. We camped out that night in the hilly country around Sonoma lake. I thought I knew what stars looked like, but when it got dark, I realized I was wrong; people, I saw the Milky Way! It was just right there, for anyone to see! I'm sorry, but I don't think Illinois stars will ever cut it again. As if it couldn't get any more ridiculous, there was also a meteor shower that night. I don't even know what to say, it was one of those things I'll probably be muttering about when I'm old.



To reiterate:

THIS IS WHERE I AM. Right now. This is just across the street. But, but, but... oh, if only I could teleport back to Urbana, just for a day! Just for an hour at Murphy's! I'm missing everyone so much right now... not even the Pacific makes up for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda! First off I want to say happy belated birthday! I hope you had a great birthday and from the pictures it looks like you did. They are beautiful :) The scenery is awesome, I just might have to come out for a visit. Maybe RE and I could come out sometime soon to see you and you could give us a tour of Portland....and then take a trip down to see Jeremy and Jason... how cool would that be?
Anyway, I'm glad you are having a good time out there with Ben. Also love reading all your posts and looking at your pictures :)
p.s. Do you still use Myspace anymore?
Christine

Piglet said...

happy birthday! KAAAAAAAAAWWWW! what a place for a birthday celebration, it looks so beautiful and i refuse to not come out to see you. i know, i know, everyone is promising to come out at some point but i will really do it after i settle in in chicago. when you get a real address, or if you put street numbers on your tent or something, let me know so i can send you belated bday materials.