Monday, September 08, 2008

Pattern recognition

Dude!

I have a friend that starts nearly every "paragraph" of his speech with Dude! I guess I'd only passively noticed this until the other day, when it started to strike me as funny, since the Dude! is nearly always followed by something akin to, "I was reading this article about economic systems in Africa the other day...". (Which is usually followed by a glazed expression on my part, since I only want to talk about kittens and candy.) He is also a frequent user of sweet, kick ass!, and word. Come to think of it, this pattern of speech could describe any number of people I know. A large portion of my friends talk sort of like hyper-literate versions of Jeff Spicoli. I don't know how this came to be, though there really is something that feels right about reducing something heady and complex to, "like, totally lame."

And I do it too, of course. I'm sure you've noticed the iron-clad pattern that this blog follows. It goes something like this:

Irreverent greeting!

Something I noticed the other day that has no real bearing on my life or yours. Details of my "deep" observation. Wrap-up of story, followed by weak joke to end the paragraph. Zing!

Abrupt change of subject. Story of how I fell/said something dumb/made a fool of myself. Another "zinger."

Weak attempt at segue, followed by a loosely related list of things I want to talk about. Meditation about how great Portland is. Promise to revisit subject that I was not able to adequately cover (always broken). Realization that I have run out of things to say, followed by literary equivalent of, "Uh."

Attempt at hilarious sign-off, followed by exclamation points!!!

How did I even get on this subject? What I actually came to talk about today, though, is the surprising realization that I'm beginning to think that tattoos look, like... kinda good. Like... really kinda good, actually. Oh boy, this is how it starts. I welcome your attempts to change my mind. But wouldn't I look great with a giant, soaring eagle covering my back? (I'm kidding, Mom.) I guess I'm a real Portlander now.

1 comment:

Piglet said...

"dude" is a personal favorite. my first college roomie hated it, but by the end of the year she also used the word to start every sentence.

tattoos=HUH-laaaaaaaame (personal favorite #1)!!! actually, they look good on everyone else. for now. you should get one so that i can live vicariously through your coolness for the next ten years, and then start to make fun of your dated hipster emblem in ten years. dude!

oh, i was also thinking; maybe geoff could bring the cat handbook to chicago. we could twitter over it and then you could get merkel tattooed onto your bicep!