Thursday, August 14, 2008

Maundering

Today something on the bus shorted out, causing the horn to blare whenever the driver hit the gas pedal! I can't even think about it without laughing. <--- (I just laughed for like a minute straight.) You should have seen the faces of all the other people on the road. And the cyclists! Whenever someone new got on the bus, they'd be confused and afraid until someone explained the situation to them. All the while, the horn would continue to blare until we stopped at a light, then the driver would hit the gas and it was BEEEEeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEE[......]ppppp all the way until the next one. At one point we rounded a corner, horn blaring, and some homeless dude jumped back from the curb and screamed, "NO BRAKES!!!!!!" It took me like 20 minutes to write this paragraph because I had to stop and laugh after every sentence! Oh, man. I suppose I'd better switch topics.

Three loosely related points of interest: I just got back from eating here! It's outstanding. I got a slice of sausage pizza that had more meat on it than I've eaten, total, in the past 4 months. I also got one with "cheese" made out of cashews! (It doesn't actually taste anything like cheese, but it was really good. And it was topped with sweet corn, yum!) Also, it is the eve of my 27th birthday, and it was 105 degrees today. When I said "loosely related," I really meant it.

Fourth point of interest: I am ill, which is probably why I've been blogging so much. This does not bode well for a memorable birthday celebration, and probably means that you'll be treated to a maudlin, "I am 27, what does it all mean??" post in the next few days.

5th point of interest: I'm always shocked when "classic" novels turn out to be good, even though they really always do (that's why they're called classics, you fool). But seriously! I'm reading "Brideshead Revisited" right now and it's so good, so funny. I guess that's why they made it into a movie (twice). I also just finished reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," which is not a "classic" but was fantastically enjoyable (I guess that's why her books sell millions of copies). On the other hand, I just read that Murakami book about running; this is my second Murakami, and... I don't get it. There was a lukewarm review of the book in the NYT last week by some dude who was about as familiar with Murakami as I am, and we both seemed to come away with the same impression: "Wait, does he mean to write like that?" The book was fine, and Murakami's likeable, but doesn't he kind of write like a fourth grader? A little? Anyone? I guess my opinion doesn't count, though, because I always thought Hemingway was a crappy writer, too. Everyone always thinks I'm joking when I say that, but someday I'll find someone who agrees with me and we'll form a secret club and have the best times ever not liking Hemingway together. In our clubhouse.

2 comments:

Piglet said...

hemingway sucks. something about the shitty writing AND the misogyny just doesn't really do it for me. tee hee, when you come we can throw tomatoes at him!!

with murakami, i had the exact same problem as you did when i first started reading him--granted, i've only read two of his books, but something about japanese literature in translation really is really hard to get into. at some point i think i got more invested in the characters and the narrative and the stilted writing became a secondary consideration. i think he can tell a good story, i wish i could just read them in wapanese.

Karla said...

i hated Old Man and the Sea!!

note: i haven't tried anything else by him.