Saturday, December 08, 2007

Poking at things with sticks

Tonight I was reflecting back on the week and thinking about how great it had been, when it occurred to me that I couldn't actually explain, in normal terms, why it'd been so great. I have nothing to report. I've lived the same day 5 days in a row. But how to explain? After seeing basically every person I love in the world during Thanksgiving, coming back to Oregon was sort of like staring at a blank sheet of paper. Yet, I wasn't, and am not, unhappy. What I find impossible to include in this blog are the small things that take up most of my time and give me most of my happiness. I love waking up and drinking coffee out of my Edward Gorey mug so much that I start to get excited about it every night before I go to bed. This morning, Ben patiently listened to me drone on about how I got a credit card with a picture of an eagle on it, and how I thought I lost my keys the other day (they were in my back pocket the whole time). The other day I came close to telling you about how I almost fell down on the bus, until I realized that that was all there was to the story. But, I don't know, it was so funny at the time!

And on that note, today was wonderful. It was sunny and cold and I walked around my neighborhood for hours, listening to music. I drank coffee out of my mug. I learned that Will Oldham took the cover photo for Slint's "Spiderland" album, which, I know, I know, I know nobody cares about, but I had to tell you because it gave me such a thrill. I missed seeing Bill Moyers on OPB, but it's okay because he'll be on again tomorrow! After 20 minutes of staring at my bookshelf, I've decided that I'll start reading Kundera's "Immortality" again soon. There's a lot to look forward to, including writing my initials on the bus window and seeing if I can guess the exact minute that I clock in at work.

I also bought some soap that smells really good!

What I meant to say was that things are going pretty well.

No comments: