Monday, July 27, 2009

Hot Hot Heat

(Taken in Eugene at the University of Oregon, where I accompanied Colin to a lecture last week)

Time is moving fast. It seems like only 8 days ago, I was promising you that I'd update at least every 7 days. And wasn't it just a few weeks ago that I was laughing at the indignity (oh, the wonderful, delicious indignity) of wearing a sweater in July? Well, those innocent times are over -- it's 100 degrees, with no A/C in sight. Tomorrow, 102. Wednesday, 102. By the weekend, 93. At last, something to look forward to!

All jokes aside, these are not happy times for me, and I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment. As my companion was remarking yesterday, people are moving almost as slowly as they did when we got a foot of snow in December -- I no longer understand how to deal with harsh weather, and neither does anybody else here. Current PDX hot weather fashion consists of only two extremes: 1) "How little clothing can I wear without being arrested?" and 2) "I'm going to walk around in tight jeans and a long-sleeved shirt and pretend this isn't happening." My personal strategy so far has included 2 cold showers a day, outfit changes every 8 hours, and cold bottles of Limonata on the porch. Also, whining! So much whining.

LOOK AT MY FACE!! I DON'T LIKE THIS ONE BIT!

On the other hand, the hot weather has produced some lovely sunsets.

And, well, I guess it's pretty nice to jump in the river when it's really hot outside, especially when you're with a friend. (Note: the person in the photo is not my friend. Also, this is the Sandy River, at Oxbow Park.) I suppose things aren't so bad. Still, Portland: HOW ABOUT TURNING ON THE A/C?! Oh, that's right, you don't do that.

Well, I suppose I'd better get back to lying motionless on my bed.

2 comments:

Karla said...

i so love when i come to your page (i still don't do the feed thing...) and find that you've blogged.

and yes, i've bitched about 4,003 times today about the heat. i always try to remember these moments when i'm freezing in the winter...

my 'verification word' for this comment is "chipsy" ....awesome

ลงประกาศฟรี said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.