Saturday, January 31, 2009

Life is what happens when you're busy waiting for a burrito

Auuugghh!

Uffphhhrrrgg. Mulleted co-worker who gave me this illness, you will pay! Today was the sunniest, most beautiful January day, and I spent it napping and coughing. Blast! I was just sick. After the sun set, I finally peeled myself from bed and took a walk, which brought me back to life a little. At the moment, I'm back in bed, watching Battlestar Galactica under 10,000 blankets. It's sort of nice, actually. If I had someone to bring me soup and carry me around in a giant backpack, I'd be set.

My sick den badly needed fresh flowers, so I brought home these green roses. I love them. Right now I have them cradled in the crook of my arm like a little pet. They smell like good roses should, which is rare these days.

Natural fever reducer.

Mmmm. Tomorrow I will get up and run 4 miles (my favorite way to deal with illness is total denial). After that: cookies! And coffee, and cafes, and the paper. And a special drawing project. Mexican for lunch, and Indian for dinner? Yes, please! Get to work, immune system, I am very busy.

I found this while I was waiting for a burrito the other day. It's a flyer for an art show that's already over, but I like the picture and the sentiment is interesting:


The miracle. There's only one miracle, and I have to wait? Portland smelled so amazing tonight, because there was a mist over everything. It smelled green, and felt good in my nose (really! it's cool and wet, there's a texture to it). I have good-smelling roses in my bed in the middle of winter. There's two miracles, right there! And if I manage to get up and run 4 miles without coughing up a lung, there's three. The delicious cookie(s? will it be a two cookie day??) I devour will be miracles 4-75, and the coffee will be miracles 76-100. And if the coffee comes in a good mug, there's another one.

Oh, but the best miracle is something I forgot to tell you! I had a gift certificate to Zappos left over from my birthday (thank you, mom) so I spent a long time picking out some shoes the other day. It wasn't until the shoes arrived that I remembered... I forgot to use the gift certificate when I bought them. What?! Well, I guess I'll buy more shoes, then. But these will do just fine for now:

Still Life #1 With Frye Boot, Blackberry Vodka, and a Plastic Eagle Named Skronky

Miracles 102-1000.

3 comments:

jessicaehorn said...

I too have been under the weather, and BSG and flowers also improved my immune system. Those botas are hot. Gabe and Becca and her beau have them too. Gabriel wears them when he does yard work in Mexico and they look really good beat up.

Piglet said...

WHERE CAN I GET A PLASTIC EAGLE?

Stef said...

DUDE. One of my student assistants has Frye boots and I covet them daily. And green roses? Neat!! I need flowers... miss you!!