Sunday, October 05, 2008

Turnips!

PERFECT FALL DAY ALERT!!

Actually, my plans for the weekend kind of failed. On Saturday, I walked over to the Laurelhurst to see the Don Hertzfeldt screening, only to find a crowd of mid-30's pudgy animation nerds (my people) staring dejectedly at a "DON HERTZFELDT IS SOLD OUT" sign in the window. Ugh! Despite my best efforts, I couldn't seem to work up a hunger or thirst, so I just wandered around the area for awhile, eventually finding myself in a cemetary. I don't know how autumn manages to be so sneaky, but it seems like there's always one day where I totally get my mind blown by the realization that the leaves have started turning, and I guess yesterday was it. So I stomped around in my boots and my skirt, admiring the wet leaves and the crisp air and imagining an exciting future filled with caramel apples. Also, I now have a large jug of apple cider, so I feel that anything is possible.

My other unrealized goal for the weekend was to watch the Portland Marathon, especially since I plan on running it next year. Instead I... slept. For 14 hours. I woke up at around noon, sorta confused and weirded out, since on normal days I've usually been up for at least 6 hours at that point. I feel illness looming, so I suppose it was warranted. In true "I'm almost sick" fashion, I have accomplished nothing today, save dragging myself to New Seasons for vitamin C smoothies and the Sunday NY Times. Luckily, I made a big batch of this the other day, which I plan to consume with gusto in about an hour:


Hello, I am poorly-photographed lentil & spinach soup!

Ok, but can we be serious for a second? I need to talk to you about vegetables. All summer I've been going to the Groundwork Organics booth at the farmer's market, and all summer I've been having my, uh, existence rocked by the quality of their produce. I know this is a boring subject, but this week's cauliflower made me want to weep. It's such a treat to buy from people who are knowledgeable and passionate about the food they grow. I consistently buy stuff there, get it home, and think, "I had no idea that ____ could taste this good." These are vegetables with character. After suffering through years of tasteless produce that's been shipped across the country and had the life bred out of it, I'm falling back in love with food.

This week was especially exciting for me, because they had turnips, and I love turnips! Two varieties of turnips, which... I didn't actually know there were other varieties of turnips. How many more times can I say turnips in this paragraph? Turnips, turnips, turnipsturnips. Turnips? Anyway, the mystery turnips are red! Red turnips! They look like citrus fruits:

The color's off, sorta. But man, these turnips -- do you mind if I call them "rad"? So spicy, so complex, so at home in my belly. Also pictured are some carrots, some Romaine lettuce, the aforementioned cauliflower, and a green striped Roma tomato, which I had no idea even existed. And yes, all are now at home in my belly.

Sigur Ros tomorrow. Also, my wrist is now able to bend! (Slowly.) Yes, yes, yes, concerts and wrist-bending, here I come.

3 comments:

Piglet said...

i always thought turnips were just something that peter rabbit stole out of that grumpy guy's garden! you mean people eat those, too?

Fred - Pam said...

I know you don't remember Grandpa Hostettler very much but he would be so glad that you like turnips. He used to eat them all the time, even putting them into mashed potatoes.

Hey, did that HUGE spider ever re-appear?

jessicaehorn said...

Hey my perfect fall day included a trip to Monticello. We went to the festival and ate huge Rodeo burgers (think onion rings, BBQ sauce and cheddar cheese) at the Main St. Pub. We also drank Miller Lite and watched the Illini beat Michigan in football. That doesn't happen too often. Oh and then we had Dairy Queen and danced to a live country band. Perfect fall day in Central Illinois. Only thing missing in Monticello was you!