Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I have arrived!


What a dump Oregon is! It's been an interesting transition so far... not only does the big city have me terrified, but I still can't quite get over the drastic change in scenery. Since Ben drove, he had a chance to get used to the changing landscapes, but I was basically put in a magical flying machine and transported from flatness to mountain-world in only a few hours. In particular, the winding mountain roads have taken about 30 or 40 years off my life, since I've never known anything except a basic grid pattern where every surrounding town is visible on the horizon. The past few days could basically be summarized as, "OH MY GOD SLOW DOWN WE'RE GOING TO DIE."

We've been camping since Sunday. It's beautiful and my muscles are always confused when I try to walk up an incline because they have no idea what that feels like. I've been enjoying it, though it hasn't been without hardships -- I've named our campsite "Spider Alley," so you can probably guess some of the "hilarious" scenarios that have been happening.

Yes, thousands of water spiders live here, and unfortunately, some of them have touched me. Ew!

This is me, bathing in the Clackamas River. It's freezing, but it's also very clear and very clean.
Here's a terrible photo of our campsite. We're having so much fun, can't you tell?

No comments: